Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dave's Pirate Treasure Map Cake

Today is Dave's birthday. One of the things I love about my husband is that no matter how old he gets he is still a child at heart.  He loves all things pirate.  A few months back I was flipping through a kid's magazine and I saw this pirate cake.  Dave wanted it so that is what I made him for his birthday.  

It was a lot of fun to make.  I'm in awe of whoever came up with the idea.  It's so creative. The entire thing was edible. We bought quite a bit of candy yesterday to make all the elements and then P helped me make the cupcakes.  Birthday cakes have become one of my biggest creative outlets.  I really love making them and I'm starting to wish I worked at Ace of Cakes or some place like that.  

I bought most of the candy at Whole Foods. All the icing is colored with organic food coloring made from fruit or vegetables.  The few items I couldn't find at Whole Foods I bought at Cost Plus. They have a surprising large assortment of candy and not just domestic either.  

A treasure chest made out of chocolate nuggets, mini pearls and icing.  A parrot made from a green sugar gum drop. X marks the spot made out of a red M&M and red sugar gum drops. 

 Pirate flag made out of a chocolate covered coconut chew, marshmellows and icing.  I should have gotten chocolate icing to make the eyes but I just couldn't justify buying a tube of it for only 2 dots.

 Volcano made out of chocolate covered coconut chews and icing with red sugar.
 Bones made out of mini marshmelows.

The "sand" was made from smashed up vanilla wafers. And the coins are chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment