Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Being Elmo

This documentary popped up on Netflix recently. I had read about it on Cup of Jo and have been wanting to see it.  We all watched it, including P. She's rarely interested in  live action so just to get her through it was a big thing.  

I really loved this story. I think what I loved most about it was a lesson in parenting.  Kevin Clash, ie Elmo, grew up in a low income neighborhood of Baltimore.  It wasn't above average schooling, or an unbelievable opportunity from his neighborhood or anything of the sort that allowed his dreams and interest to blossom. It was his parents.  

He talked about an incident when he cut up his father's coat. It caught his eye because of the great fur lining. Kevin thought it was the perfect fabric to make a puppet.  When his father came home, instead of being mad he said "I just want you to ask first next time".  How understanding, insightful and calm is that?  

Coincidentally, a few days after watching the movie P cut up some curtains. They were part of a fort I had made for her.  Had I not watched the movie I would have been upset but instead I said "next time just ask because I actually have a whole roll of that fabric in the office".  She said ok.  

I think the greatest gift anyone could have is a parent who supports their interest, whatever they may be.  I think that may trump education or financial means.  Where there is a will, there is a way and having your parents support is an extra dose of will.    

No comments:

Post a Comment